Economic Development News
Plainfield is working hard to bring new businesses, industries and private investment into the Village. Here are some of the recent projects that are currently underway. To keep up to date with new projects,
please sign up for our E-News below.
The Boulevard project at I-55 and US 30 is under construction. It is a 70 acre development and is expected to have over 400,000 square feet of dining and shopping. The Boulevard is the largest commercial development to be constructed in the Chicago suburbs in over a decade. We are thrilled that Costco Wholesale will be the major anchor of the site; they plan to open in November of 2020.
Diageo is putting the finishing touches on their 1.5 million square foot warehouse facility and they plan to begin full operations this spring. The warehouse is located on 143rd Street at Steiner Road. This new project will bring 100 jobs to Plainfield; increasing Diageo's total number of employees to over 600. The approval of the warehouse also brings a new traffic signal at Meadow and 143rd Street, which is now operational and the extension of 143rd Street west to Ridge Road. The new roadway should be under construction later this year.
The downtown continues to be a magnet for new businesses, particularly restaurants.
- Sovereign relocated and expanded their business in December to the Sanctuary across the street in the old Trolley Barn. The building also features Sanctuary Events and provides the community with a wedding venue and event space.
- Next Whiskey Bar, currently out of Lisle and Lemont, purchased the property and hopes to open their new whiskey bar soon.
- New retail outlets in downtown Plainfield include Be of Good Juju, The Tea Tree, Hufendick Butcher Shop, and Ivy Nicole Natural Remedies.
New Businesses Around Town
- Plainfield’s first winery opened last fall; check out Sable Creek Winery which is located in the Warehouse District.
- Chai Thai also opened last year on Wallin Drive near 143rd Street adding Plainfield's first Thai restaurant and providing more variety to an already booming restaurant scene.
- The Farmhouse started construction of their 3,500 square foot special event venue that will host a variety of events.
Would you like Economic Development News delivered to your inbox? Then sign up for the Village's Economic Development E-News Group! Subscribers receive local business news via e-mail.